By Austin Richards
Austin Richards takes readers on a visible travel of the electromagnetic spectrum past the diversity of human sight, utilizing imaging know-how because the ability to 'see' invisible gentle. Dozens of colourful photos and transparent, concise descriptions make this an exciting, obtainable technical e-book. Richards explains the sunshine spectrum, together with noticeable gentle, and describes the complicated imaging applied sciences that allow people to synthesize our personal model of 'alien' imaginative and prescient at varied wavelengths, with functions starting from fireplace combating and legislations enforcement to botany and medicine.
- record of Figures
- Infrared and Ultraviolet: the sides of the Rainbow
- Thermal Imaging: all of us Glow at midnight
- Microwave and Millimeter-Wave Imaging: Piercing the Veil
- X Rays and Gamma Rays: Crookes Tubes and Nuclear gentle
- Acoustic Imaging: Seeing with Sound
- Sweeping during the Spectrum: Comparative Imagery
- Bibliography and net assets
Read or Download Alien Vision: Exploring the Electromagnetic Spectrum with Imaging Technology PDF
Similar imaging systems books
JPEG2000 commonplace for photo Compression offers readers with the fundamental historical past to this multimedia compression method and prepares the reader for a close realizing of the JPEG2000 normal, utilizing either the underlying idea and the foundations at the back of the algorithms of the JPEG2000 usual for scalable picture compression.
Inorganic nanoprobes are tiny optical units which are now being applied to notice and research nanoscale organic houses. protecting either basic rules and biomedical purposes, this groundbreaking source deals engineers and researchers an updated account of the pioneering job pushing new obstacles during this rising zone.
This variation provides the main renowned subject matters and functions of electronic snapshot processing, research, and special effects within the box of cultural historical past maintenance. The textual content assumes earlier wisdom of electronic photo processing and special effects basics. each one bankruptcy encompasses a desk of contents, illustrations, and figures that elucidate the awarded suggestions intimately, in addition to a bankruptcy precis and a bibliography for additional analyzing.
Physique MR Imaging at three. zero Tesla is a pragmatic textual content allowing radiologists to maximize the advantages of excessive box 3T MR platforms in a variety of physique purposes. It explains the actual rules of MR imaging utilizing 3T magnets, and the variations among 1. 5T and 3T while utilized extracranially. The book's organ-based technique makes a speciality of optimized thoughts, offering instructed protocols for the most owners of 3T MRI structures.
- Encyclopedia of Imaging Science & Technology 2 volume set
- Medical Radiation Dosimetry: Theory of Charged Particle Collision Energy Loss
- IMAGING AND ELECTRON PHYSICS
- Handbook of Optical and Laser Scanning (Optical Science and Engineering)
Additional resources for Alien Vision: Exploring the Electromagnetic Spectrum with Imaging Technology
14 Near-UV image of polar bears. (Courtesy of Dr. David Lavigne) The bears appear almost as dark as grizzly bears in the near-UV. The scientists also found that the standard military-issue Arctic camouflage issued to Canadian troops was rendered ineffective by their photographic technique. Soldiers on Arctic duty wear snow-colored parkas and pants and transport gear on white sleds, all of which appear very dark when imaged in the near-UV (350–380 nm), as shown in Fig. 15. Ultraviolet light, like infrared, penetrates through some materials that are opaque to visible light.
15. Ultraviolet light, like infrared, penetrates through some materials that are opaque to visible light. This property allows us to image through obscurant materials, allowing for noninvasive analysis of materials. Ultraviolet imaging has an interesting application in dermatology. Human skin is normally opaque to ultraviolet light, as the chemical pigment melanin absorbs it. Thus, people with normally pigmented skin appear much darker in the ultraviolet than they do in the visible. If the melanin is destroyed over time by exposure to ultraviolet light, then it can penetrate to sensitive inner layers, causing damage to the basal cells, which are approximately 2 mm below the surface.
In this representation, white is the hottest color, followed by yellow, orange, and red, with purple and black representing the coolest parts of the scene. Note that the black object at the bottom of the image is a metal roof that reflects the cold sky into the camera. The mountains behind the transformers are warm, having been heated all day by the Sun (solar loading). 16 Visible (left) and MWIR (right) images of energized transformers. ) The transformers above are an example of a good application for thermal imaging for predictive maintenance, because, by design, they are hard to reach from the ground and are energized with high voltage on top, making noncontact temperature measurements from a distance safer and easier.
Alien Vision: Exploring the Electromagnetic Spectrum with Imaging Technology by Austin Richards